Application deadlines and how to apply
Please note the following important dates:
- 1 October 2019: Deadline for applications from students who are not South African citizens.
- 13 December 2019: Deadline for applications from students who are South African citizens.
- Applications for financial aid from UCT and the NRF have earlier deadlines. Please visit the website for UCT's Postgraduate Center and Funding Office for more details.
Applying for admission to the Honours Program is a two-step process:
- Applicants must first apply to the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics:
- Send an email to the MAM Postgraduate Administrator, Ms Tanya Hannival (email@example.com),
- Usually, the Honours Selection Committee will require a Skype interview with applicants who did not complete their undergraduate work at UCT (this can instead be a face-to-face interview if you are in Cape Town). These Skype interviews will take place during the period 14-18 October 2019. Once your application has been received by the Committee, we will be in touch about this.
- Applicants must also apply to UCT for admission as a postgraduate student.
The Honours Selection Committee endeavours to make decisions on applications as quickly as possible (usually, within two weeks of receiving your application to the Department). If your academic record is strong enough, we will typically make an offer of admission that is conditional on your continued performance at or above a stated level. In situations where we feel we don't have enough information to make a decision (for example, we have decided to wait for your end of year results), it can take substantially longer.